The Din of Inequity

The Din of Inequity

...yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

I'm back! At least for today!

I can't believe how long it's been since I put up something substantive (in the blog sense of substantive--more than three lines of original prose--not in the real sense). I have been totally swamped at work lately, but on the upside, I got promoted*.

I of course publicized this information to the immediate family and friends, offering a celebratory happy hour (which never actually came off due to everyone being as busy as me). A lot of folks asked if my job was different now. If you measure from the day before I got promoted to the day after, the answer is no. If you measure from about the time I stopped writing here regularly, then you get a different answer.

A few weeks ago, I was asked to take over part of our online marketing (the only part I wasn't already in charge of) from the person who was supposed to be doing it. I say "supposed to be doing it" because, try as she might, she just couldn't manage it. I've never met anyone with fewer skills for picking up new concepts. She was hell on the few things she did know how to do, but nothing much new went into her head from her first day at my company**.

Anyway, once I picked up this new set of tasks, it was all over for blogging. Before the change, I was doing a lot of programming and nuts-and-bolts stuff. Emails, phone calls and meetings were just stuff that got in my way and wasted my time. Suddenly, all I was doing was emails, phone calls and meetings. Somebody else is in charge of pushing all the buttons--I just say which ones to push now.

You'd think this would be a good thing, but at the time I was really stressed about it--what was going to happen when somebody figured out that I wasn't doing anything but that time-wasting stuff? Then it dawned on me that it was now my only job to do that stuff. I wasn't wasting time--I was "working." That mental jump made it a lot easier to deal with the change, lemme tell ya, but I have to say: management is fucking weird. I can see that I'm moving things forward, and I'm busier than ever, but I don't make anything but plans anymore. Weird.

About the time that I confessed to my boss that I had only just that day realized that it wasn't slacking off to make someone else do the coding around here, they decided to promote me. I guess around here they like to make sure you're up to the new job before telling you you have, in fact, had it for a few weeks.

So I'm sure everyone's really excited to read about how my job has changed. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that I'm REALLY turning into a manager--I can't think of anything interesting to say. I'm not really up for bitching either, and I can't seem to find anything about myself to make fun of. I think I'm turning serious. Shit.

Well, hopefully at least I've broken the seal here, and stuff will start to flow. Thanks for waiting, or if you're new, thanks for stopping by!

*I was, of course, totally chuffed about the promotion, and immediately felt bad about all the bitching I've been doing about how it's about frigging time I got promoted. Now that I'm the Man, I can see it from the Man's perspective, I guess. It was gratifying that after the announcement a lot of long-timers here came around my office to tell me they thought the promo was long overdue too. Of course, since I'd already been assimilated by the Man, I had to brush it off--"Thanks. My duties have changed a lot lately, so I guess it makes sense now"--instead of saying, "Fuck yeah! I thought those jokers would never wise up. What should I spend my raise on?"

**Her last day was the other day, by the way. My project wasn't the only new concept she couldn't pick up, apparently. She was sweet, but we didn't really need sweet--we needed a manager who could, uhhh, manage.


|| Bikeboy 1:44 PM ||
Comments: Post a Comment