The Din of Inequity

The Din of Inequity

...yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Smoke 'em If You Got 'em

Yesterday at lunchtime, I saw a group of people standing outside our building smoking, and noticed (it's short sleeve weather here) that at least three of them were wearing LiveStrong bracelets.

At first I thought it was ironic, but then decided that it was probably smart--after all, if they're lucky one day they'll be cancer survivors themselves.

I gotta tell ya. Living in the DC area, where smoking is being banned from more and more places, I've gotten to the point where I'm always a little surprised to see anyone smoking. I'm not sure how I feel about the societal good or ill of smoking bans, or the quality of the science behind them (there's plenty of evidence it's kind of shoddy and slanted), but I like not having to deal with cigarette or cigar smoke. In the Maryland county in which we live, you can't even smoke in bars.

So while I do like a smoke-free environment, I noticed something. Having been forced outdoors, smokers look less and less like carefree people enjoying their own thing and more and more like pathetic junkies huddling in the cold and rain to shoot up.

Makes you wonder just how nasty and uncool smoking has to get before nobody takes it up anymore.


|| Bikeboy 10:06 AM ||
Comments: Post a Comment