The Din of Inequity

The Din of Inequity

...yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Oh, To Be Trivial

Maybe it's where I live. Maybe it's that my politics have never been so diametrically opposed to the policies of the Reich. Maybe it's that I've become serious, and a total dick.

Whatever my problem is, it seems to have manifest as an inability to put together a post more than a couple of sentences long that isn't obsessively political. Believe me, I have a similar problem with conversations these days too.

Last night, we had some friends over, and while we did manage not to talk too much about the current state of affairs in this country*, conversation just wasn't the kind of lightness and jokes I remember once having. About the best it got was discussing the serious injuries we'd had. And not in a Jaws-esque drunken scar contest way either, more's the pity. And yet I'd consider it one of the more successful forays I've had recently into non-political, not irate conversation.

I have a friend out in Indiana (maybe it is where I live) who doesn't seem to have this problem at all. He's started up a blog**, and is totally able to keep his blogging all about himself, his opinions and his life and in general "the small stuff." It's refreshing to read, though it does sort of throw my own current state of mind into stark relief. We used to be peas in a pod, with not a care in the world, except when the next beer was coming (general answer: Soon, and plenty of it) and when we'd get laid next (general answer: Not at all soon), and how our fantasy football teams were doing.

I used to be that guy, and I want to be him again.*** So while I can't promise not to be political****, I think it would do my head good to keep it local for a while (like more local than DC politics). I hope for a little while to limit my bitching and other observing to local/personal issues and see if I can just generally not be so goddamn heavy all the time.

It would be way more fun for you, O my one of reader, I'm sure.

I don't want to wind up doing what Girlygirl did to her blog, Oinkment. She killed it off because she couldn't bear to write anymore. She's having the same problem I am with the whole seriousness thing, which stands to reason as we're married and all. I'm still hoping I can fix my head and my blog, and with any luck each will help fix the other.

*We sort of put a moratorium on it, since, while we all agree on this stuff, we also all begin shooting steam out our ears out of frustration pretty fast. It's hard to have a conversation when every sentence is "And then when I saw X I...I just...aargh fuck!"

**I'll link to it soon--I have to re-build some stuff over there on the right side of the page anyway, since Oinkment has gone away, as have a couple of others, I think. I also need to figure out why the site doesn't display properly in Mozilla-based browsers, and why the comments feature likewise only works with Exploder. And I need to change my tag line--those of you visiting via something other than Exploder aren't even seeing it, but those who do see it know it's gotta be nine months out of date, at least.

***Though perhaps without so much beer. At my current income level, spending fully 1/3 of my income on drink like back in the day would be really scary.

****As Bart Simpson said, "I can't promise I'll try, but I'll try to try."


|| Bikeboy 5:09 PM ||
Comments: Post a Comment